The Phalen Test for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
10 November 2020
Nowadays, a plethora of information on any topic is available on the internet. So, there’s a tendency to occupy the driver seat concerning one’s health. This initiative is largely positive. However, there is a catch 22 . Inevitably, the downside is self – diagnoses of sorts.
Recently, a client came for therapy. They had pain and discomfort at their hands and forearm. Then, they query if Carpal Tunnel Syndrome might be the cause. That stirred me up with amusing thoughts. How wonderful, everybody is winning the “Walking Encyclopedias” award!
Nevertheless, ascertaining the cause is vital. Its paramount for treatment. Off my cuffs there are a number of orthopaedic tests and assessments which helps.
Testings and Assessments
- Phalen Test
- Compression Test
- Tinsel’s Test
- Finkelstein Test
- Grip Test
- Reviewing symptoms
- Visual Assessment of the Thenar and hypothenar muscles
- Nerve Compression Velocity Test
What is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
When the median nerve is compressed as it passes through a narrow tunnel at the wrist.
- Altered Sensations in the hands and fingers
- Stiffness at wrists and fingers in the morning
- Pain in the hands travelling down to the wrist, forearm and shoulders
- Pins and Needles
- Weak grip and clumsiness with handling objects
- Conservative, with steroid injections
- Medication for pain
- Avoid aggravating repetitive and heavy hand/wrist movements
- Massaage therapy and Stretching helps in the early stages
The client tested negative to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in this case.
# Carpal Tunnel Syndrome # Massage Therapy and CTS
For further reading at your leisure:
Lipedema, Lymphedema and High Blood Insulin
26 May 2021
The negative impact of high blood insulin on the lymphatic system, Lipedema and Lymphedema.
How does your Vagus Nerve affects bodily function?
24 May 2021
Your Vagus Nerve is also known as the Pneumogastric Nerve. It sends sensory messages to the brain and relays motor messages to our body.
Free Giveaway Valentine’s Day Package
15 February 2021
Free Giveaway Valentine’s Day Package worth $330.00! You can have your cake and eat it as well!