The Phalen Test for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
10 November 2020
Nowadays, a plethora of information on any topic is available on the internet. So, there’s a tendency to occupy the driver seat concerning one’s health. This initiative is largely positive. However, there is a catch 22 . Inevitably, the downside is self – diagnoses of sorts.
Recently, a client came for therapy. They had pain and discomfort at their hands and forearm. Then, they query if Carpal Tunnel Syndrome might be the cause. That stirred me up with amusing thoughts. How wonderful, everybody is winning the “Walking Encyclopedias” award!
Nevertheless, ascertaining the cause is vital. Its paramount for treatment. Off my cuffs there are a number of orthopaedic tests and assessments which helps.
Testings and Assessments
- Phalen Test
- Compression Test
- Tinsel’s Test
- Finkelstein Test
- Grip Test
- Reviewing symptoms
- Visual Assessment of the Thenar and hypothenar muscles
- Nerve Compression Velocity Test
What is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
When the median nerve is compressed as it passes through a narrow tunnel at the wrist.
- Altered Sensations in the hands and fingers
- Stiffness at wrists and fingers in the morning
- Pain in the hands travelling down to the wrist, forearm and shoulders
- Pins and Needles
- Weak grip and clumsiness with handling objects
- Conservative, with steroid injections
- Medication for pain
- Avoid aggravating repetitive and heavy hand/wrist movements
- Massaage therapy and Stretching helps in the early stages
The client tested negative to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in this case.
# Carpal Tunnel Syndrome # Massage Therapy and CTS
For further reading at your leisure:
Everyone deserves an End of Year Massage!
29 November 2020
It’s almost that time of year now. Indulge in calmness, peace and enjoy a relaxation massage! You deserve it!
Body Dynamics raised $528.00 for the Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
02 November 2020
October is the Breast Cancer Awareness Month. A 10%, $528.00, was donated from all bookings for massages. I would like to thank all my lovely clients for their kind support…. Read more
Street Appeal For The Breast Cancer Foundation
01 November 2020
Breast Cancer Foundation Street Appeal